Sometimes, life can just get a little too much and that’s completely ok. I think everyone needs a little time to reflect once in a while. People deal with things in different ways and it may be that you haven’t found yours yet but it will come. I’ve had a think of some things I like to do when I feel I need some time to gather my thoughts so here they are –
1. Talk to someone – Whether it’s someone professional, a friend or a family member, it’s completely down to you. Getting things off your chest is a must, no matter how unnatural it might feel. Never feel ashamed. I myself have been to counsellors, on a number of occasions and at the time it was definitely the right thing for me to do. It taught me that I do in fact need to open up and deal with my problems and that the majority of people, have problems too. It’s always good to hear other people’s opinions and it’s always good to know that you have people that support you. People want to help and they will.
2. Surround yourself with loved ones – I so often hide away from people and ok, it helps for a little while but not in the long run. I get to a point where I start to feel isolated and only have myself to blame. It’s good to have some alone time and enjoy your own company but make sure you take up the opportunity to spend that much needed quality time with the people who care for you the most.
3. Don’t believe everything you see on social media – Social media is, in my opinion, a huge contribution to unhappiness. People only seem to post the good parts of their life, for obvious reasons, but it can often make you feel like you aren’t as successful/happy as them. You have to remind yourself there is more to their lives than what they show. I only have Instagram myself and I only follow people i personally know, no one famous etc, else I would spend my life being miserable and wondering why I can’t have the same life. Remind yourself that there are probably people looking at your social media and thinking you have the best life ever.
4. Start a hobby – Ok, this one I haven’t actually stuck to, mainly down to the fact I just haven’t made time for it but I definitely think it’s a must. It’s always good to do something you enjoy, it releases happy hormones and you can shut off the world for a short time while completing it. You don’t even need to leave the house if you don’t want to, you can literally do anything from crafts to ice skating. If you have a passion for something, why aren’t you doing it?? Anything is possible if you put your mind to it.
5. Look after yourself – Every now and again you need to have a little unwind and just focus on you. Once a week, put an hour or two aside and have a little pamper. Have a nice bath as opposed to a shower, put a hair mask in, apply a face mask and just chill. It’s good to have some time to just relax and it definitely releases some of the unwanted tension throughout the week. Sometimes I even just paint my nails to feel a little more human!
Remember, you are not alone. There’s so many people around you that love you and so many different ways to look after yourself.
I hope you enjoyed reading this, if you have any suggestions feel free to share them.
Believe in yourself.